It’s exactly a month since we made landfall in Antigua after rowing 3000 miles across the Atlantic Ocean. I’ve starting to get back to some form of work schedule, but what else have I learned and noticed since my return ?
- Work is only ever going to be ‘part of my life’ and not ‘all of my life’, so I’m already looking after for ‘me’ a lot more.
- I’ve put on 1 stone of the 2 stone I lost already (maybe now is the time to ease back on any food elements of Point 1)
- Alcohol is really bad stuff. I went from nothing for 7 weeks to drinking beer and wine again and the difference is night and day.
- Apparently, I’ve stopped snoring (not that I ever conceded to Mrs G that I did!). I’m not sure whether this is due to 7 weeks of sea air in my sinuses or my conscious attempts to breathe through my nose, having slept leaning against the side of a small cabin quite a lot.
- Modern life it way too fast and complicated. On the boat we just rowed, ate, and rested so I’m already seeking out ways I can make my life less complicated as well as numerous visits to the charity shops to declutter my life and my head.
- I’m committed to spending more time with the people I love in life – my wife, my children, and my close friends and I’ve already got 3 breaks booked in the diary as well as a summer holiday.
- I not only want to speak more about sales, performance and adventure but I also want to see how I can also inspire young people who may be lacking motivation and guidance at times.
- I’m a music convert. Yes, I read and always listen to audio books but from not being a big music fan I’m amazed how it affects my mood, lifts me and makes me smile (I’m still a crap singer though).
- I realised after a month that I’m not yet ready to be back working or exercising 100% but the fire in my belly is definitely awakening.
- Finally, and most importantly as a person who carried around a lot of baggage for most of their 53 years and been able to box much of this up…………….I genuinely love my life
I’m in the process of writing up my notes and video diaries from the row. I already have so many ideas about my experiences and learnings that I want to share with teams and business units that I coach and mentor…..so watch this space 😊